Even though the first batch has been sold out even before its release through pre-sales orders, many from the non-gaming community have no insight about the Pandora and its features.
Pandora is an open source handheld device which is being aimed to become the most powerful one till date in both Raw CPU power and 3D Graphics. Pandora is basically an ultra portable device with a gaming console aimed to conquer the gaming market from aging GP2X.
This gaming console is built from the scratch as an OS with a Linux distro. It is the same size as the Nintendo DS and the company comments on its strange design, that it provides better resistance, better battery space and easy handling.
- Substantial color LCD touch screen
- Dual analog joy pads
- Digital D-pad
- A-B-X-Y buttons
- QWERTY keyboard just for kicks 🙂
- ARM® Cortex™-A8 CPU running Linux
- 800×480 4.3″ 16.7 million color touch screen LCD
- OpenGL 2.0 ES compliant 3D hardware
- Wi-Fi 802.11b/g
- Dual SDHC card slots
- Dual analog and digital gaming controls
- 43 button QWERTY and numeric keypad
- TV output
- High Speed USB Host
With the Pandora priced at $330, some gamers consider it to be the new king-pin but it is yet to be seen how the open source device captures the gaming community.